CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Life Update

So last time I think that I actually updated, we were getting ready to go back to Kinzie's ENT to see what was going on with her ears. We saw her ENT and everything looked ok. No bleeding and her tubes had healed nicely. He thought the bleeding had probably just been from an inner ear infection and that the ear drops we gave her had cleared up the infection. They also tested her hearing to see if the tubes were having an impact and her hearing was much better!! She is now in the normal/healthy range for hearing. So that is good news. The same day we had her ENT appointment, I ended up in the hospital with viral meningitis.

I had had laryngitis all week but had otherwise been feeling fine. I was working Wednesday night when I started getting sick really quickly/suddenly. My body temperature and blood pressure had both dropped. Jason picked me up from work and took me to the hospital. By the time I got the hospital, I couldn't even walk, I had to be taken by stretcher back to the trauma area of the ER. My temperature had also dropped to 92 degrees. After a spinal tap and blood work, it was determined the I had viral meningitis. However, no one ever informed Jason or I of this, just told me that I had a "virus". I was admitted for observation. The next day I woke up with extreme back/neck spasms (all related to the meningitis/spinal tap) but still no one told me I had meningitis. I was sent home, vomiting and still unable to sit up/walk with no pain meds. I ended up back in the hospital Friday because of the level of pain. I was given more meds and then sent home with pain killers and a different type of muscle relaxer and stuff for nausea. Still, I had no idea I had meningitis. Saturday I laid in bed all day and tried to sleep/rest but after the pain continued into Sunday, I ended up back in the hospital and off to the OR for a spinal blood patch to stop leaking fluid in my spine. That was pretty painful, but the instant relief of my headache made it well worth it. I was sent home drug free! And was able to get up and walk by Monday afternoon. Still.... I had no idea I had meningitis!! I visited my doctor on Wednesday to follow up... and he says.... "So you have viral meningitis?" I said "No, just some other virus." and he said No.... your chart says right here that you were treated for viral meningitis. He even called the hospital to confirm my records. I was given no instructions on what I would experience or what I should/should not do as far as working/resting. If I hadn't seen my doctor when I did, I would have gone back to work and could have relapsed. Grr... Anyway... that's my venting and what has been going on the past couple of weeks.

Thankfully, we have WONDERFUL neighbors who helped out with Kinzie Wednesday night AND cleaned our whole house, did our laundry and cooked us a meal while I was down and out!! I couldn't be more thankful for our neighbors Mike and Joanne. They have been a blessing!! It also worked out nice that my dad was working in Redwood Falls so he could come take McKinzie to Iowa while I was recovering. So even as crappy as it was to be so sick, we were reminded that God will take care of us through it all.

Life is starting to return to normal... whatever that is. I am feeling good and back on my feet, but I still have to take it easy so I don't overdue. We are looking forward to this next week's events as we visit family in South Carolina, and host my family next weekend. May God bless you all this holiday season!

0 comments: